My blogging hurdle – confessions of a scaredy cat
Blogging is hard. I mean I love to blog but you gotta be in the mood. You can’t just force yourself to write…or can you?
I know I haven’t blogged in awhile – trust me when I say the absence isn’t on purpose but I just haven’t had the ability to click “Publish”.
My draft box is full
You see my draft box is full of posts…posts that for whatever reason I didn’t have the balls to publish. Whether it’s because I was being a perfectionist that day and trying to edit the post just so or I had a great idea I just couldn’t verbalize right, I just couldn’t make it happen.
So to remedy this issue, I’m writing this in one shot and pressing publish as soon as it’s done. It’s probably going to be a really rough draft and not as eloquent as I may normally try to make it but this will help me get over one big hurdle I have – publishing.
I’ve been reading a lot about tips to blog that I was going to write a post about later (yup…it’s in draft!). Everyone has their own hurdles to overcome and this one is mine.
So why am I so wary of publishing?
- It’s publishing, d’uh. Yup I’m putting my name to something and that’s a big deal. Sure it’s just a blog. Sure I don’t have 1,000’s of readers but regardless I take very seriously what I put out into the world with my name on it.
- It’s a new age. Putting your name to something means being searchable. It means verbalizing your thoughts/values to the world. What is said on the Internet cannot be unsaid.
- I need to have something awesome to say. Yup, I don’t just post filler posts because I feel I need to post. I know that goes against that “regular post schedule” mentality but what I remember from a Scott Stratten (better known as @unmarketing on Twitter) presentation was “people spread awesome”. On Twitter it’s really important to me to spread content I think is awesome. Why wouldn’t I also try to write awesome content?
- I’m a perfectionist. This is no surprise if you know me well. When I really get into something I turn into a bit of a perfectionist. It’s a problem. I’m working on it. Admitting it is the first step to healing. 🙂
- I’m scared. Who isn’t? I want my blog to be successful. I’d love it if my readers were engaged. It warms my heart when people comment and tell me they love reading my posts because they’re funny or because I made a great point on a subject. It means a lot to me but also puts a lot of pressure on me.
- Writing is cathardic. Sometimes just the act of writing can be cathartic. You don’t always need to post for you to feel the feeling of relief/relaxation/peace after writing something that was on your mind.
- Because I can. Again, just because I can publish something, doesn’t mean I should. Period.
So tell me – am I the only one that’s been scared to hit the button? What’s your blogging hurdle?
Like this? Share this:
Filed under: Honesty, Personal, Social Media | 10 Comments
Tags: Blogging Drafts, Blogging Tips, My Blogging Hurdle, My Draft Box Is Full, postaweek2011, Scardey Cat
Hi, I'm Aleksandra - a digital storyteller with background in public relations, corporate communications and knowledge management.
Welcome to my world where I talk about my industry and interests in what I've dubbed my "famous last words".
my tweetsMy Tweets
There was an error retrieving images from Instagram. An attempt will be remade in a few minutes.
what people are saying
supply bio spot on My take on Starbuck Zenobia L. Standaert on My take on Starbuck Elisa V. Mccarey on My take on Starbuck Sherrie R. Kourt on My take on Starbuck unique christmas gif… on Social Media Trends (2010 and…