Yes, Hotmail is down
*Forgive the formatting – written on an iPhone and will be updated shortly*
So I feel like I need to post this: Hotmail is down.
I can’t imagine the day one of the largest, free email engines with more than 50 million subscribers goes down….and yet here it is! Microsoft apparently took its Hotmail service offline so company technicians could fix a security hole exposing users’ email.
Gmail user? Bet you’re feeling pretty awesome right now, eh?
I too am a Gmail user. Even though my Hotmail address was created when I was 12 or so (and I’m actually embarrassed by it), I still don’t have the balls to shut her down. Why? Because it was my first email addy – even if it’s laughable. It’s also kind of my repository for things that remind me of being young while the Interweb was young.
- Free dial up using Altavista – Sure it showed ads at the bottom of your screen all day and kicked you offline every now and again, it was free!
- ICQ (aka I Seek You) – This great chat site was the original MSN Messenger. I still remember how short my ID was: 7 digits. What was yours?
- The dancing baby – a marvel of computer animation we sent around in emails over and over again. If you have to ask you ain’t hip.
- How about quizzes – Way before Facebook we had email quizzes that people actually filled out! I still have a fee from uni and they make me laugh every time I bust em out.
- Dial up sounds – Need I say more? I still curl up in fetal position when I hear them. Just awful.
- Netscape Navigator – This bad boy was THE browser of the time. I hated it…always. (Sorry dudes – it was infuriatingly annoying).
What are your favorite memories of a young Interwebs? 🙂
Double dog dare – post your Hotmail email addy/ICQ number. Show me your way back email addy…and maybe I’ll show you mine. 🙂
Filed under: Personal | 9 Comments
Tags: Does Anyone Use Hotmail?, future of email, Gmail User, Hotmail, Hotmail Email Address, Hotmail is down, postaweek2011, The Young Internet