From Eh to Zed – why I love Canada
Happy birthamaday Canada!
Let me start by saying there is no such thing as too much Canadiana. During the Olympics our PM Mr. Harper had urged Canadians to not be afraid of showing their pride as we are naturally a very modest country and as the medals started piling up, boy did we ever show some pride! Hope you showed off your Canadiana last night (and perhaps are continuing to show it off today).
To celebrate Canada Day weekend here’s my top 10 reasons why I am proud to be Canadian.
- I’m a lover not a fighter…but I’m also a fighter so don’t get any ideas. I know it’s from the Dos Equis commercial but we are so that guy…only friendlier and with gentle eyes.
- Our gorgeous landscape. When my family visits from Poland they always tells us how beautiful our country is which is funny beause in Poland they have castles that are thousands of years old with GOLD on the roof. We’re so surrounded by beauty, we don’t even notice it sometimes. Our country is HAWT.
- Beer…because there are just some things we do better.
- And unrelated to beer…the complete opposite in fact…water! Because we’re surrounded by it and have so much of it, we don’t ever worry about where to find more. Take that Cali!
- Because we have the best of both worlds – a queen and a democracy. The states just couldn’t figure out how to make it work together so they choose democracy…which is great. Thumbs up. But I kinda like to have my cake and eat it too. 🙂
- We are a mosaic – not a melting pot where everyone tries to be like everyone else – but a mosaic. We get to be ourselves…however random that may be…and still be part of a greater community.
- Universal health care. Seriously if you have ever been sick in another country you would know that our health care is amazing. Period. Full stop. Stamped it. No erasies.
- Some of the greatest talent of the world came from our own backyard including (but not limited to): Wayne Gretzky, Sidney Crosby, Mike Myers, Jim Carrey, Michael J Fox, Ryan Gosling, Kim Cartrall, Michael Buble, and William the-dork-that-never-seems-to-go-away-and-yet-we-all-still-love-him Shatner!
- Our amazing food – the stuff that my friends in the US always ask for when they visit: Ketchup chips, Smarties, and Poutine!
- I’m leaving this blank because I want to hear from YOU! What’s your favourite reason to love Canada (and I veto any mention of Justin Bieber lol).
So give me your suggestions – there are hundreds of reasons to love Canada, but what needs to make this top 10 list?
Filed under: Canada, Personal | 7 Comments
Tags: Beer, Canada Day, Canadiana, Democracy, I love canada, Poutine, Universal health care, Water, Why I love Canada