Twitter, I think I love you
An open letter to Twitter…
I don’t know how to say this…but I think I love you. I know this seems like it’s happening so fast – we’ve only known each other for a little over a year. Remember when we met that cold, snowy day in early February? How was I to know then that you would completely change the way I experience my life. Conferences have become Twebates. Sporting events have become Twelebrations. Even my day-to-day activities are online for the world to see. I’m constantly thinking “Oh I should totally tweet that!” or “That would make a hilarious overheard!”. Ever since I met you I’ve felt like Tom Cruise on the Oprah Winfrey show…this is me jumping on my proverbial couch but looking way less crazy then the guy in the photo.
You know what I love best about you? I love that you support and encourage me to share who I am with the world – to be proverbially naked.
And do you know when this eureka moment came to me? While I was at home one cold winters evening, snuggled under a blanket, watching the Canadian men’s hockey team win against the Germans. What a thrill to read my stream!
Now, normally I watch sporting events with crowds of people in public places, like at a local watering hole. I love to YELL, and jump, and get caught up in the moment. I love watching people celebrating together during those intoxicating highs and console each other during those excruciating lows. But now…now it’s different. It’s something more than just a celebration with the locals in a bar; it’s a celebration with people all over the world! And Twitter – you sly little devil – you made it happen. I’ve been proverbially surrounded with people yelling and cheering with me on the Interwebs…and I like it.
Think about all the ways you’re changing my Olympic experience! You’re:
- Bringing people of like-minds (…or minds like mine) together - by simply following a hashtag like #van2010, I’ve been speaking with other people from around the globe who are interested in the Vancouver 2010 Olympic games and we’ve had dialogues that might not have otherwise happened.
- Expanding my network by continually introducing me to new people – whether by following a hashtag (#van2010, #Olympics, #NFL) or being introduced (#twintro’d) to others by a friend.
- Reminding me of events that I might otherwise be missing – especially during the Olympic games when there are so many events going on at once.
- Keeping me up-to-date with events – sometimes my social schedule gets in the way or I’m at the gym. It’s nice to know that even if I’m not watching the game (for whatever reason), I can keep up-to-date with what’s happening.
I’ve heard others complaining – saying your streams are overwhelming or that you’re spoiling the outcomes for them – but Twitter, baby, I don’t hate. You’re rocking my world. I can’t wait until hashtags take over the world; television shows will start telling people to follow certain hashtags on Twitter to engage with other viewers (ex. “Follow #lost on Twitter and share your prediction for this season with other fans!”). Yes Twitter, we’re taking over the world! Me and you. You and me.
It’s been an amazing ride and I just wanted to say thank you. I know this is a really long winded way of doing this but I just couldn’t put this together in 140 characters or less.
I <3 you baby,
Like this? Share this:
Filed under: Social Media | Leave a Comment
Tags: #NFL, #PCTO2010, #van2010, Bilodeau, Conferences, I think I love you, Jumping on Couch, Love, Olympics, Oprah, Oprah Winfrey, PodCamp Toronto, Sporting Events, Super Bowl, Super Bowl 44, Tom Cruise, Twintro, Twitter, Vancouver 2010 Olympics
Hi, I'm Aleksandra Stalmach - a Gen Y communications junkie trapped inside a tech geek's mind and these are my musings.
- Patio brunch. (@ Le Select Bistro) 4sq.com/19Q42gy Tweeted 12 hours ago
- #CaffeinationNation (@ Aroma Espresso Bar - @nutmegontherun) 4sq.com/14BWcWH Tweeted 1 day ago
- Brunch! (@ Boom Breakfast & Co.) 4sq.com/15Wvblx Tweeted 1 day ago
- Getting my hair touched up. Wearing my spring wedges to break em in. ;) instagram.com/p/ZdHwY7t5f3/ Tweeted 1 day ago
- Going to see my boys! (@ D square salon) 4sq.com/19Kj1Zd Tweeted 1 day ago
what people are reading
what people are saying
garcinia cambogia ex… on 3 easy ways to stay on top of… Christina on 3 easy ways to stay on top of… fast n furious 6 on 3 easy ways to stay on top of… Mohammad on 3 easy ways to stay on top of… Heath on Pinterest – everything y…